Have you ever heard of Fashion Sourcing? A lot of people haven’t either! Inside fashion industry, specially in Brazil, Sourcing is a relatively new field, and by being less known is also called ”International product development” to make it easier. In my carreer I stumbled upon Sourcing by chance and ended loving it! It was the perfect opportunity to mix together 4 things which I am really passioned about: Fashion, travel, product development and searching for suppliers. But Sourcing isn’t something that necessarily needs to be done only internationally, Brazil is a highly creative country and also rich in technology when it comes to Fashion, that is why I decided to start my search journey through my own country!
>> Sourcing whaaat?
Accordignly to Wikipedia, Sourcing:
- Is the practice of recruiting talent through searching techniques
- Global Sourcing, a strategic intervention which seeks to explore global eficiencies in product development
Another difinition which I like is from ”businessdictionary.com”:
- The process of finding good suppliers of products or services
>>But what do someone that works with Sourcing does?
What do you need to know to work with Sourcing:
- Fluent speaking and writing in English (other languages are a plus): for the day-to-day communication with suppliers of all different countries by email and, eventually, Skype meetings.
- Illustrator or Corel Draw + Excel: for development of precise and clear tech packs, besides feeding of follow up spreadsheets.
- Have knoleges of patternmaking, fabrics, sewings and garment finishings: to have the skill to make the suppliers understand very clearly what needs to be modified or improved.
- Availability to travel internationally: sometimes it is necessary to just take a flight and personally check the production, meet new suppliers or deliver developments.
- Responsibility, agility and commitment: Depending of the time zone, for example across the world, to let sometnhing pending 1 day is equivalente to losing 2 days. Besides that, when it comes to skype meetings, to have the call on their working hour is the same of having to wake up really early in the dawn. The ”responsibility” stands for the great amount of time and money that can be loss in courrier costs between countries when a tech pack in poorly comprehended.
>>Why a blog about Sourcing?
That Sourcing Girl is proud to be the first blog in Brazil -maybe even the world- dedicated exclusively to the theme Fashion and Travel with the distinguished look of Sourcing: more focused on the product, who makes it and how they make it.
>>And who is this blog for?
Is for the artisan or any other supplier that wants to promote their work and expand their business.
Is for the fashion student and for the designer that seek for inspiration or have curiosity in the making process of an specific product.